Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 5 - Salzburg, Austria

195 K - 120 Miles
Certainly not burning the road up, am I?  Fewer miles today because it's...what is it gang?  It's laundry day.  Unlike on my Spanish trip, I could actually find laundromats here.  And they are very, very clean, and well organized.  Of course, this is Germany, they have to be.  I was impressed, though.

By the time I got the laundry done, updated the blog, etc., it was right at check-out time, 12:00noon.  I checked out and wanted to see Dachau, the concentration camp located just 15 kilimoters from downtown.  (But they didn't know about it...right!)
Unfortunately, I couldn't get out and about to see the place like I'd like.  That's the problem when you take these trip on a bike, I have three bags with valuable stuff (at least to me) in them, sitting on the bike, and not enough room to store it all when I stop.  Depending on where I am and how things look I will often leave the tank bag and helmet on the bike, with my coat thrown over it.  This works right up until someone says, "Hey, that's a damn nice riding jacket, I want me one...hey, I think I want that one."  Most thefts of this kind are "opportunity" actuated.  A dishonest person sees the stuff, looks around and thinks, "what the hey?" I'm going for it.  That's the fear.

By the time I finally found a parking space along the street, and walked up toward the entrance, I was paranoid about leaving the stuff where it was.  About that time, three young men walked by on the other side of the street.  I continued on, then, when I looked back I saw they'd stopped and were obviously talking about Betsy.  One said something and they all took a step toward the bike until one looked my way and saw me watching them.  He said something and they turned and walked back to the other side of the road and continued away from the bike.   It didn't look very optimistic.  When I got to the area of the entrance I saw it appeared to be just a building with a lot of relics in it.  I'm sure it's full of pictures and history, but, then, so is the internet.  Biased toward not leaving Betsy alone with strange men around, I just blew it off and saddled up and rode on.

Country's getting prettier now.





 





















My hotel for the evening.  I'm in the annex across the street.
Betsy's beautifying the street right now.










Looking to the right.  Behind that hill is the old town of Salzburg.  The one Mozart knew as a child and young man.











Just to the left after entering the old town area.










To the left the ubiquitous old church.















Lots of these running around the old town tonight.













Saw this interesting portal and, upon entering it, found this view.











This is what's different "over here."  Yes, we have some open air restaurants, but here, meeting in such a place happens everyday.  To me there's a sense of community, of belonging together, that I don't think we have in America.  Oh, we're all members of the community, but we do it from the driver's side...the drive through.   Another casualty of low priced fuel.

People actually walk over here.  It's neat...and amazing.






And, for the ladies.  Control yourselves girls.















Right!  Seize the day...and do it with our finger food.








Saw the movie



Saw this and thought, "Uh-oh, I have to rethink my meaning of that word."
Found out this morning it means jewelry.  So I don't have to rethink my meaning after all.











The guy on the right is playing the living daylights out of a little 4-string ukelele and singing well.  His accompaniment is blowing bass lines with a Digery Doo.  And, he could play it!

Yep.  Some money went in the hat.  I'm a real sucker for street musicians.  They put themselves out there, in (self-esteem) harm's way, and do their thing.  I gotta help when they're good.  When they're bad...let the marketplace tell 'em.







This is a very grand plaza.  Complete with yet another chapel/church.









Gotta be hard to carve marble while standing in a pool of water.




Hohensalzburg Castle
First construction - 1077 AD
Hohensalzburg_Castle












For those who have seen the movie, 'Amadeus' (1984).  This is the place where Mozart was chasing his future bride around the room and under the piano while waiting on his concert to begin.








In the plaza, beneath the castle, a ball with a statue of a man on it.  I have no idea why, or what they are trying to tell us.  But you gotta admit, it catches the eye.















And beneath?  Chess anyone?













Big doin's tonight!  Saw lots of fancy-dressed folks, black-tie and tail, going in for tonight's play.












Meanwhile, the cast "lights up" during break.

Can't help but wonder at the role of the guy on the right.












And...out the tunnel to modern Salzburg.









Saw this guy parked along our way.



If Betsy's a girl...this has to be Bob, or Bill.  I thought I saw her giving sideways glances.










Took her home and put her straight to bed.










Tomorrow, another change of plans.  My initial intention was to go to Vienna (Wien? now?).  But, checking the weather (on my handy dandy little iPad) I see that rain is predicted for the next three days along that line.  So, my choices are to turn south to the heat, or ride in the rain.  It's sort of a no-brainer...I'll go with the heat.  But...it means riding across the Alps in rainy weather.  Oh...decisions, decisions.

Meantime, Salzburg is a very neat town with plenty going on.  I'd have really liked to have caught the opera tonight.  I'm not an opera fan...except for Mozart.  I'm a BIG Mozart fan.  Dude wrote his first piece when he was five.  FIVE!!!  I was still learning to wave bye-bye at five!!  Oh well, we all have our own special talent.  I can't wait to find out what mine is.

Tomorrow?  A swim through the Alps?




1 comment:

  1. So what's your theory on the meaning of schmuck in America?
    Betsy reminds me of a bird in a cage ... put the cover on and they will bed right down no matter what is going on all around them.

    ReplyDelete