Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 15 - Cannes, France

August 14th
189K - 117Miles
Didn't have far to go today, plus it was raining when I woke up, so I took it pretty easy heading out this morning.

Finally pulled out about 10:30am, the rain having stopped by that point.  Easy drive down the coast, looking forward to crossing back into France.  One, of all the places I've visited, I think France the prettiest, and two, in France I have a cellular connection for the iPad and can get online from wherever I wish.   No more waiting to find the McDonald's.

Pulled into France and a few short miles further, Monaco.  Wow, talk about a beautiful place! You can judge from the pictures.  The problem is the road is way up and the Principality is way down.  And I mean way down.  I rode dirt bikes for a lot of years.  Never was all that good at it, but learned a lot about handling a bike and taking hills, etc.  But my little Can Am weighed in at about 250 lbs.  Betsy is a little rotund, if you know what I mean.  She comes in at a whopping 875 lbs., dry. Put my lard butt on her and you're approaching immovable force, immovable object territory.  Place all that on a hairpin turn to the right (the inside track), sloping downward sharply, where you can't see if traffic is coming at you, and you have a situation I could do without.  Forever.  But we managed to get down the hill the slow way, contra-gravity, if you know what I mean.

At the bottom the traffic makes L.A. look like a desert ride; white-knuckle all the way.  Parking spaces are, as in all these old European cities, non-existent, or not there, pick one.  I wanted to stop and take some sea level pictures, perhaps find the Royal Residence, but, after a couple near misses with a few of the  kamikaze drivers here I decided Betsy and I both would be better off somewhere else.  So, we booked it up the hill, toward Cannes. Hope my premier is successful.

Good weather lasted until I got back on the slab.  Then the rain started; a nice drizzling, soak-everything sort of rain.  Didn't do the riding togs badly, they still needed a further washing, but, with the relatively warm temperatures and high humidity (doesn't get much higher than 100%, does it?), my goggles and glasses fogged up badly again.  I really miss that pull down visor now that I'd gotten used to it.  Gotta get that guy replaced as soon as I get back home.

I have tentative plans to meet a friend and her family in Saint-Raphael, but can find no reasonable room rates there.  In fact, you can barely find unreasonable ones.  So, going on line, I find a room at the Holiday Inn Garden Court for $150/night so I book it and head in out of the rain.  Murphy's Law is alive and well.  My GPS can't find the address so I pull out the new one and it can't find it either.  I finally figure out an intersection and program that in.  But, I'm not through yet, on the way the GPS is a little slow telling me which way to bear so I veer right when I should have veered left, and end up back on the toll road with 6.5 kilometers before I can turn around and ride 6.5 kilometers back all in this drenching, low visibility rain.  Murphy, let go of me!

Made it in, got the room, got caught up a little on the blog, and made plans to meet Marie-Line and her family for lunch tomorrow.  Altogether, a pretty good day, leaving out the rain.






 Betsy, above it all...over Monte Carlo.
















I mentioned it was "down," right?












This guy was so big he couldn't get into the harbor.












Really a beautiful spot.  Fit for a princess...and was.












Jean d'Arc - Downtown Cannes












 Cannes beach - rather early on a Sunday morning.





























I really like the look of this guy.  Wish I'd have been there when he left the quay.












The happiest days in a boat owner's life: The day he buys it, and the day he sells it.

Definition:
Boat - A hole in the water into which money is poured.







But if I could have one, this is much like what I'd want.  Only a little bigger and more capable of handling the open sea.














Of course, this isn't bad either.










Everywhere a boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment