Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 18 - Millau

406K - 251 miles

"Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?" - Chicago 1969

Boy, I don't. Last few mornings I've managed to ignore my 5:00am waking, roll over and go back to sleep; sleeping until 7:30, 8:00am. It's really pretty neat. Perhaps I could do this full time? I don't know, but I didn't leave the hotel until around 9:30am and the sky didn't fall. I didn't even see it tremor.

Rode all slab today, having rode much of the route off-slab yesterday. I'm doubling back, today. Heading for the Millau Valley, home to the world's tallest bridge at 1,125 feet high (Millau Viaduct). Of course, to we Europeans, it doesn't seem that high because we deal in meters, and it's only 343 meters...see? I told you, much shorter.







Some of the scenery on the road between Grenoble and Avignon.






























Coming in to Millau now.











The Millau Viaduct















Millau, nestled down in the valley comfortably.













Betsy at Millau















I gotta say it didn't seem that high; either on it, or under it. (Ya think I'm getting taller?) But it is, as Oddball said, one "fine, motha-loving bridge."
(Okay, trivia fans, name the movie, and who played Oddball.)








The sensation of height isn't so much on the bridge. It's much more impressive from below, or far away, as in the town of Millau. But it is a fine, motha-loving bridge.



















The town of Millau is very nice as well. Looks like a summer and winter destination spot, with plenty to do at either time of the year. Sort of weird thing I noticed while walking around, all the stores have put winter wear on the shelves. It's 77 degrees F. right now, the high was in the mid-80s, and they are laying in gloves, lambskin coats (I managed to resist that one...you know how I love lamb), and woolen scarves. I'll never understand the retail fashion business.

In any event, this is a nice place, and I like the bridge. It really is an engineering marvel.

Tomorrow, a little east and north. Getting close to home and the (sad) end of this trip. Man, I hate it when that happens. I have really enjoyed this. But, then, I say that about all of them, don't I?

1 comment:

  1. Loved the Millau Viaduct! So glad you got to check that one off your list. Guess I'll just have to settle for the Mackinac as my "big" bridge.

    Oddball's bridge? No idea. But I've never been a big Sutherland fan and I don't think I ever saw Kelly's Heros.

    ReplyDelete