Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 17 - Grenoble

August 16th
284K- 176 Miles

 Another short ride day.  Got up and on the road by about 9:30am, heading for Grenoble, via Avignon.

Avignon was less impressive than I thought it would be, but I didn't give it much of a chance.  Too many people, to few parking places, and a bike loaded down with gear restrict me considerably.  I pulled through, took a picture of the surrounding wall, and boogied to Grenoble.
The entire old city is surrounded by these protective walls.




The Rhone River.  The Rhone river valley is home to a large part of the wine industry here.  The southern region, surrounding Avignon, is most famous for its Côtes Du Rhône and Châteauneuf-de-Pape vintages. 







Turned north and east out of Avignon, mostly on the N7 highway, two-lanes, winding through many small villages.  It was a fun ride.  About thirty kilometers out of Grenoble I elected to get back on slab to both make time and insure a smooth ride.




Starting to see mountains.












This is the small city near Grenoble called Echirolles.  This is actually where I stayed the night.










The French Alps at Grenoble.











Each peak is distinctive.











Spent a pleasant evening, early to bed, and managed to sleep in after refusing to get up at 5:00am when I first woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment